In the world of e-commerce, retargeting is a crucial strategy for businesses to recover lost sales and convert potential customers into buyers. One approach to retargeting that is often overlooked is direct mail. In this article, we’ll explore the creative uses of direct mail for e-commerce retargeting campaigns and how it can help businesses to reach their target audience more effectively.
Direct mail has proven to be a highly effective and relevant marketing tool despite the rise of digital marketing. By the end of 2020, direct mail spending accounted for the largest portion of U.S. local advertising at $38.5 billion and is projected to reach $43.3 billion in 2023. In Western Europe, direct mail accounts for the largest market share and is expected to reach $66.28 billion in 2025. Globally, the market is forecasted to reach $73.57 billion in 2026.
Benefits of Direct Mail
Sending direct mail campaigns to customers has many benefits. For one, direct mail open rates can reach up to 90%, which is higher than any other advertising channel. Response rates are also five to nine times higher than digital channels, and direct mail provides a sense of personalization that creates a more tangible connection with customers.
According to a USPS survey, millennials enjoy receiving direct mail, with 75% of respondents stating that receiving personal mail makes them feel special. Additionally, 54% of consumers say they want to receive mail from brands that interest them. Compared to digital channels where people receive over 120 emails a day and are subjected to over 5,000 digital ads daily, direct mail offers less noise and distractions.
Direct Mail for E-Commerce Retargeting
Retargeting is the practice of targeting customers who have previously interacted with your business but did not make a purchase. This can include customers who have abandoned their shopping carts, browsed your website without making a purchase, or interacted with your social media channels. Retargeting allows businesses to remind these potential customers of their interest in their products or services and encourage them to complete their purchases.
Direct mail can be a highly effective approach to retargeting that is often overlooked. While email and digital advertising are the most common channels for retargeting, direct mail offers a more personal and tangible approach that can make a significant impact.
Here are some creative ways to use direct mail for e-commerce retargeting campaigns:
1. Abandoned Shopping Cart Reminder: One of the most common forms of e-commerce retargeting is reminding customers who have abandoned their shopping cart. This can be done through email, but it can also be done through direct mail. By sending a postcard or letter reminding customers of the items in their cart and offering a special incentive to complete their purchase, businesses can stand out from the competition and increase their chances of converting these potential customers into buyers.
2. Personalized Catalogs: Direct mail catalogs can be a highly effective way to showcase a variety of products to potential customers. By segmenting your audience and creating personalized catalogs based on their previous interactions with your business, you can create a highly targeted and effective retargeting campaign. This can include sending catalogs with recommended products or limited-time offers that encourage customers to complete their purchases.
3. Thank You Notes: Another creative approach to direct mail retargeting is sending a personalized thank you note to customers who have recently made a purchase. This not only reinforces their decision to buy from your business but can also encourage them to make future purchases. Including a discount code or a personalized offer can be a great way to encourage repeat business.
Direct Mail Tracking and Management
Direct mail campaigns can be challenging to manage and track. However, by working with a direct mail management company like North American Media, businesses can streamline the process and ensure that their campaigns are highly effective.
North American Media specializes in helping businesses create and manage direct mail campaigns for e-commerce retargeting. Our team has years of experience working with businesses to create highly effective direct mail campaigns that drive sales and increase brand awareness.
North American Media can help businesses identify the best audience segments for their retargeting campaign and create highly targeted and personalized direct mail pieces that stand out from the competition. We can also help businesses track the success of their campaign in real-time, enabling them to refine their strategy and get the most out of their advertising budget.
Choose North American Media for Your Next Direct Mail Campaign
Direct mail can be a highly effective approach to e-commerce retargeting campaigns, offering businesses the opportunity to stand out from the competition and reach potential customers in a more personal and tangible way. By taking advantage of these creative uses of direct mail, businesses can increase their chances of converting potential customers into buyers and driving sales. Direct mail provides a unique opportunity for businesses to leverage their first-party data to lower customer acquisition costs and boost customer lifetime value.
With rising digital customer acquisition costs (CAC), direct mail can be a highly effective way to reach a highly engaged audience. By incorporating direct mail into their marketing strategy, businesses can leverage its unique benefits and achieve significant success.
If you’re looking to create a direct mail marketing campaign to retarget your e-commerce customers, North American Media can help. We can create and manage direct mail campaigns for e-commerce retargeting, streamlining the process and ensuring highly effective campaigns. Contact us today to learn more.
- How to Use Direct Mail to Acquire New Customers During the Holiday Season - October 13, 2023
- Tips for Designing Successful Direct Mail Formats for Maximum Impact - August 31, 2023
- How to Make the Most of Remnant Ads for Your Business - August 11, 2023