When it comes to effective marketing and engagement, email campaigns are still one of the most reliable channels. To maximize their impact, however, marketers need to understand how to track metrics like open rates, click-through rates (CTRs), and return on investment (ROI). With this information in hand, they can create successful campaigns that optimize performance and reach goals while engaging audiences in an increasingly competitive digital landscape.
Understanding Email Campaign ROI
Knowing the industry benchmarks for your email campaign metrics is important to ensure you’re meeting or exceeding KPIs. According to Constant Contact, average open rates range from 20% to 30%. Click-through rates (CTR) normally sit at 2% to 7%, while ROI ranges from $41 to $51 for every $1 spent on email campaigns.
While these benchmarks can provide marketers with useful guidance, it’s important to remember that the best results come by testing and optimizing based on your individual audience.
Key Metrics and Benchmarks in Measuring Email Campaign ROI
There are some key metrics you need to be aware of when measuring an email marketing campaign’s ROI. Depending on your email campaign (B2C vs. B2B, offer value, etc.) your benchmark metrics might change, but below are the most crucial:
- Open Rate: The open rate is the percentage of people who open your emails. Open rates are the percentage of emails in a campaign that were opened based on the amount sent. As mentioned, open rates can range from 20% to 30%, and variability can depend on factors like the subject line, time sent, frequency of emails, and more.
- Click-Through Rate: The click-through rate or CTR measures how many people click on a link within your email and take action. This is also measured against the emails sent. CTRs can range from 2% to 7%, depending on the content, design, and other factors. Monitor your CTRs to ensure you’re optimizing your email content and driving enough response from readers.
- Conversion Rate: The conversion rate shows how many clicks actually convert into a sale, sign up, or other desired outcome. Achieving a high conversion rate is the ultimate goal of any email campaign and requires careful optimization.
- Bounce Rate: The bounce rate measures how often an email isn’t delivered due to formatting issues or incorrect addresses. Keeping your bounce rate low is important for improving ROI and ensuring you’re targeting the right leads.
- Unsubscribe Rate: The unsubscribe rate is the number of unsubscribes compared to the total contacts you’ve emailed. A high unsubscribe rate may be indicative of a weak list or poor content. Monitoring your unsubscribe rate is important for maintaining a responsive list and improving ROI. Sometimes an unsubscribe isn’t necessarily a bad thing as you’d prefer someone who isn’t interested in receiving your emails to unsubscribe instead of simply ignoring it which can tarnish your reputation with your email service provider.
Strategies for Improving Email Campaign KPIs
Understanding industry benchmarks is just the first step in achieving great email campaign ROI. To have a successful email marketing campaign, it’s important to maintain a few key strategies:
- Keep your list responsive and up to date. As mentioned, ensure your list is accurate and updated with only quality leads who are interested in receiving your emails. This will help reduce bounce rates, unsubscribes, and ultimately improve ROI.
- Regularly test subject lines and content. Experiment with different creative approaches like design, copywriting, personalization, and A/B split testing to find the best combination for your audience.
- Leverage segmentation and triggers. Create segments of contacts that are tailored to their preferences and interests as well as set up automated triggered emails based on user behavior or engagement level.
The Benefits of Design and Personalization for Email Campaigns
When it comes to email marketing, design and personalization are key elements that can help you boost engagement and ROI significantly. A well-designed email with personalized content makes readers feel like they are getting exclusive access, which helps increase open rates, CTRs, conversions, and ultimately, ROI.
To ensure your emails stand out from the competition, pay close attention to design and personalization. Include engaging visuals, relevant information, and a strong call-to-action (CTA) to encourage readers to take action. Additionally, use data such as demographics or geographic location to create targeted messages with personalized content that resonates most with your audience.
Why Email List Quality Is Important
It’s important to remember that the quality of your list will have a significant impact on email campaign ROI. The key to success is not only understanding metrics and strategy but also maintaining a responsive list of qualified leads who are interested in your email content.
Regularly “cleaning” your email list is important. The best way to do this is to send a re-engagement campaign that will initiate an open or a click. Send these to your unresponsive segment.
For example, segment out the subscribers who haven’t opened or clicked in 90 days.
Use a subject line that will trigger an open (for example, “Are you there?” or “Can you please respond?”).
In the copy, have a CTA that allows them to either click to continue or click to unsubscribe (as mentioned earlier, an unsubscribe isn’t always a bad thing), so that you can remove inactive from future campaigns and increase your deliverability rates.
Contact the Team at North American Media
Email campaigns are still an effective way of reaching customers and prospects, but to maximize ROI, marketers need to understand all the metrics and strategies available for optimizing their campaigns. Knowing industry benchmarks and leveraging personalization, design, segmentation, and automated triggers can help ensure your emails stand out from the competition.
North American Media is here to help you with your next email marketing campaign and make sure you’re maximizing ROI. Contact us today to find out more!
- Tips for Designing Successful Direct Mail Formats for Maximum Impact - August 31, 2023
- How to Make the Most of Remnant Ads for Your Business - August 11, 2023
- Choosing the Best Format to Maximize Your Direct Mail’s ROI - July 14, 2023